Hiring a Licensed Electrician in Toronto: The Difference Between Licensing and Permits
Though there are several electrical jobs that you can do on your own to save on cost and time, some are best left to professionals. However, not everyone who claims to be an electrician is in a position to deliver great results. Considering that there are so many electricians in Toronto, you have to know how to pick the right person for your project.
One important factor that you have to consider is the qualification. This can be assessed on two grounds: license and permit. It’s generally imperative that you confirm the two factors before hiring an electrician in Toronto. Though these terms are often used interchangeably, they are not the same. Let’s look at what they are all about.
An Electrician License
An electrician license is a legal contract that enables an electrician to provide electrical services to clients. It’s issued by the relevant electrical body in Toronto. The contract comes with strict terms and conditions that the expert is supposed to observe. Basically, a violation of any of the terms and conditions may lead to the disqualification of the license.
The most common types of electrician licenses in Toronto are the electric contractor license and alarm contractor license. You can confirm this qualification by looking for the licensing number. It’s normally indicated on the expert’s business card.
Here are the most important elements of the license:
- It’s Long-Term: Normally, a license is offered to serve an electrician for a long period. However, it can be revoked any time by the responsible body if the electrician violates its terms.
- Few Restrictions: An electrician license is not too restrictive when it comes to its terms. For example, it doesn’t restrict the expert on jurisdiction and type of electric jobs.
- Insurance Guarantee: Usually, a licensed electrician is covered by an insurance policy. Simply put, any liability suffered on the job is no longer your responsibility but that of the insurance provider.
By hiring a licensed electrician, you are guaranteed of someone who is more qualified, who can offer references, and who can organize for the permit.
An Electrician Permit
An electrician permit is a document that gives permission to an electrician to provide electrical services in a specific place. Normally, an electrician requires a license to apply for a permit. It comes with the following elements:
- It’s Short-Term: Unlike the license, a permit is short-term. It serves the electrician on a temporary basis. So, you have to confirm that it’s not expired.
- So Many Restrictions: Like the license, a permit comes with specific terms and conditions. However, they are too restrictive. They come with restrictions on jurisdiction, services offered, and who to offer the services to.
- Regular Inspections: A permit normally requires regular inspections from the relevant electrical body. So, you have to confirm the last time the expert was inspected.
Knowing the difference between a licensed electrician and an electrician with a permit is key to hiring the best electrician in Toronto. Of course, the expert has to possess both qualifications before the project commences. This will guarantee competence, quality, and safety.